This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mustard Hoodie: The "Pattern"

[[ UPDATE (27/2/2014): We have released this design as a PDF pattern! What started as the yellow hoodie has now become an actual pattern with a lot more design details than the original. More flattering, better thought through, a sweater and a dress version, and a collar option next to the big hood! 

I strongly advise you to buy the pattern instead of following the steps below. Those measurements are not accurate and I do not guarantee a good outcome, unless you are creative and willing to tweak it until it works. I know it was me who wrote this, but it was also three years ago when I had just started sewing. You've been warned ;)

 So go check out the pattern here! ]]

At first I thought it'd be nice to get people to email me if they wanted the measurements of the mustard hoodie. That way I could 'track' how popular it was. I was really excited to see people were interested, and I still get a few requests every week! But, I thought I'd make it easier for you (and me). Below is the content of the email I used to send: much easier for you to access it this way! It's not really meant as a tutorial though, and I don't think it is suitable for beginners. I'd still really like to see the outcome if someone manages to make it!

Check the previous posts about this hoodie:

The Reveal
How It's Made

Mustard Hoodie

Important tips:

- These measurements are in cm
- I can't guarantee it will work out perfect with these patterns. I'm sorry I can't make it any easier for you, when I made this I had no idea the response would be so overwhelming. I did not write down the whole process, I just tried them on, adjusted, tried again and so on, during all the steps below. If you keep this in mind, it should work out fine!
- Make a muslin, for the reasons stated above. In that way you're sure to have a well fitting hood.
- For the sweater you can use a standard V-neck pattern, or trace a sweater you already own (as I did). You can adjust the size of the V according to your hoodie pattern.

Quick sewing order:

  1. Sew the back of the hood together (the edges marked with a *)
  2. Finish the seam with bias tape
  3. Sew the two frontpieces together between the triangle-marks. Sew with right sides together, then turn inside out, press. 
  4. Sew the back of the hood to the neckline
  5. Sew the part of the rim and the frontpiece that will be on the outside to the sweater and the hood (you can do this in one go). Where the rim meets the frontpiece again, put the rim between the two frontpieces.
  6. Sew bias tape along the neckline
  7. Sew the inside corner of the frontpiece to the rim, at the place where they meet again. 
  8. Iron the seams of the rim flat. Take the inside of the rim together with the half of the hood-seam that's pointing backwards, and sew them together using bias tape. This way the inside part of the rim is attached to the hood without making extra seams visible from the outside. Also use bias tape along the whole inside of the frontpiece: you an just take a very long piece and use it for the front piece and the rim together. See photo below for a view of the hood inside out.
  9. Handsew the inside frontpiece to the sweater. The buttons will also hold it in place.
  10. Handsew the outside corner of the frontpiece to the rim.

I hope it will work out this way. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me! Or if you have any ideas about better solutions, I'd like to hear them too. Good luck!



24 comments:

  1. Muchísimas gracias por el patrón. La sudadera es preciosa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, belated thank you for throwing this up! (iPhone reading interferes with my commenting again :P) I love this hood so much, and am in a bit of a sweater-stitching mood these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to buy this, I wish you were selling these

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reblogged! Thank you!!!

    http://technosnobbery.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ik heb hem gemaakt en geblogd! Hij ziet er niet zo geweldig uit als jouw versie, maar ik ben van plan om hem nog eens te maken ;-) Als je tips hebt, altijd welkom!

    http://wolligewolkjes.blogspot.be/2013/03/pinterest-7-green-mustard-hoodie.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WANT THIS HOODIE!!!!!!! but your patter doesn tmake much sence to me.... i CAN see what you mean... but at teh same time it confuses me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you tell me what part is unclear, I can explain. Also, there will be a real pattern available this winter!

      Delete
  7. Like this, very nice. Would love a PDF pattern ;)

    Hannah.
    http://surfjewels.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would LOVE a complete pattern including the sweater portion. Although, I know that's easier said than done! Your work is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, did u ever release the full pattern for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, working on it! Should be this fall. If you want to get an email when it'd available, subscribe for our newsletter. https://www.paprikapatterns.com/#newsletter

      Delete
  10. I was wondering if the left side edge 80cm is the full length or it's 92cm (including the 12). I traced out the 92 and it looks very long to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becca, you can check the measurements by adding up the short sides of the lower part, and the top of the top part. That should be the same as the 80/92 cm. Anyway it's better to have it too long than too short, you can always cut some off. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  11. Hey, did u ever release the full pattern for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on it, should be within a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  12. Today and I discovered His people loved the mustard hooded sweatshirt . I write from Venezuela . I would like to facilitaras me the pattern. My email is 1113169@gmail.com . Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, the pattern is for sale here: https://www.paprikapatterns.com/shop/jasper-sweaterdress/

      Delete
  13. Can this be made of fleece? Would it stretch enough to get on okay? Thinking of buying the pattern but want to make sure it will work for me.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it can, I've made one myself too. If it's too small, you can just use the 5/8" seam allowance to enlarge it at the bodice seams.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!